I came across this quote today & want to share it with you.
Art is the extended arm of your imagination, the feast of inspiration for your muse...Art isn't just creativity...its a way of life. ~ unknown
I completely agree. Art encompasses my life, my thinking, my way of viewing the world. I think this quote can be extended to include crafters also because many crafters are also artisans.
I view the world around me differently now that I'm a painter. I marvel at colors and shapes & see patterns where none existed for me before. This afternoon, my Mother (also a painter) was taking my little dog Elvis out for a walk. It's a grey overcast day with heavy clouds. When I opened the door & looked out at the sky I said, "Mom, we'd have to paint that sky using the wet on wet technique to get that soft blended look". We laughed because had just finished watching an artist using that technique for painting a sky in watercolor on a UNC-TV program.
I also look at objects with ideas for re-purposing them. I'm not a hoarder, I throw out lots of stuff, however if it is something I think I'll use soon for a project, I'll keep it. I keep pretty tissue paper & little boxes or containers. I scour church sales for vintage and/or broken jewelry to take apart & reinvent into something cool...also vintage books for card making, tag making, journaling etc. I'm always on the lookout for shells when I walk on the beach.
What do you think? Do you look at the world & things differently? Whether you are a full time artist/crafter or if you have a "regular job", is your art or crafting a way of life for you?


I always feel inspired of all the colors around me. Colors are really important to me. Found your blog through the etsy-promotion forum and follow you now. Nice stuff!
ReplyDeleteThanks for commenting & following Steufel. I'm off to check out your blog & follow you. Have a great evening.
ReplyDeleteI posted yesterday, but lost it somehow LOL...I am constantly inspired by everything around me. The sky, the colours of the prairies, the night sky..... I look at everything with the idea...."I wonder how to get the colour" etc. I am so happy that my grandchildren have started to point out beautiful sunsets etc. I love it that they are really looking at such young ages.
ReplyDeleteHi from the Etsy forums. While I have a non-crafting job, it gets me out in the world where I find inspiration from unexpected sources. My current craft obsession is fiber and spinning yarn and I'm always on the lookout for interesting color combinations that I can turn into yarn.
ReplyDeletehi Ladies, thanks for commenting. Wonderful to hear there are others who are inspired by all that is around us.
ReplyDeleteHi sweety! I tell you, art is food for the soul! I don't feel happy if I am not painting and playing with wonderful watercolors!
ReplyDeleteHugs! Love your blog! :)
~Elisa