Are you an emotional eater? I am, always have been. I eat when I'm happy, celebrating, feeling loved, sad, angry, depressed, upset etc. Food addiction, I think, is one of the hardest addictions to break. Especially because many food addicts became addicted at a very young age. You know, you get a good grade on a spelling test so Mommy gives you a treat. Not that I blame my parents because I don't. I completely take the blame for my emotional eating as an adult however I do recognize that I "learned" this behavior from my family. I have friends who just can't eat when they are upset. Not me...I say bring on the chocolate and potato chips. Sugar and salt are a favorite combination for me and I'm a carb addict too.
Yesterday I was reading through some of the blogs that I follow. Crunchy Diva had a wonderful post about morning affirmations which included a link to an article about positive affirmations. Although her blog post & related article stress the importance of writing your own affirmations, I could not help being moved by one of hers ...
"I will feed my body not my mood"
wow. Such a simple sentence and simple concept, yet very powerful. I am going to try my best to remember this daily and hopefully catch myself before I start feeding a mood. I'm thinking this little sentence can also help me make better food choices by selecting foods that will best feed my body rather than satisfy the cravings of my moods.Now I'm wondering, dear reader, are you an emotional eater too? Tell me all about it, I'd like to hear what you have to say.
Have a glorious afternoon ,

Yes, I am an emotional eater too! I learned it young like you did but I also take responsibility for my decisions. The problem is I don't realize I've used food until I've eaten it...it's that automatic of a response. If I think about it first, I tend to stay away from the food.
ReplyDeleteHi Bridget!
ReplyDeleteLike Annette, I am an emotional eater and don't realize it until I'm finished gobbling up whatever I can get my hands on (usually sweets). Then, I feel tremendously guilty. I try and battle this by not keeping sweets in the house. If they aren't there, I can't eat it, right?
I do like the quote. I need to print that out and tape it to my refrigerator and cabinet doors...
that was my post....lol...i'm also an emotional eater hence the reason i came up with that affirmation. i'm glad my post has made others think. yeah that site did suggest writing affirmations down, which i guess helps, however i make sure i say the out loud every morning & i have found it does help :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for your comments...I knew I wasn't alone in feeding my moods and I'm glad the quote resonated with you too.
ReplyDelete