Friday, March 25

Movie Review: "The Lovely Bones"

good afternoon dear reader,

I rented this movie from Netflix and watched it twice.  It's one of those films when you watch it a second time, you see and understand more.  As with all my movie reviews, no big spoilers here. Just a brief summary of the film as well as my rating.

"The Lovely Bones" (2009) was directed by Peter Jackson and stars Mark Wahlberg, Michael Imperioli (Christo-fa from the Soprano's), Rachel Weisz & Saorise Ronan. It is an excellent film.  Visually stunning, colorful & imaginative this movie is reminiscent of "American Beauty" and "What Dreams May Come."  Susan Sarandon is marvelous as the maternal Grandmother.  Stanley Tucci was a major player in the film however I don't want to give anything away.

Set in the 1970s, the costumes, set designs & hairstyles were dead on to what that time period looked and felt like.  Some scenes were filmed with a yellowish cast which is what my old photos from the 70s look like now that they are fading.  I very much related to these aspects of the film.

Saorise Ronan plays 14 year old Susie Salmon.  This girl can ACT.  I predict she will have a long & brilliant career, as long as she stays away from all of the "young hollywood" pitfalls that engulf so many young talented people.  I hope she takes the route of Dakota Fanning and stays true to herself. 

The movie centers on Susie & her Father (Mark W). There are some very sweet & poignant moments where the love a Father has for his Daughter are depicted perfectly.  Small things, like sharing a hobby or just talking.  I'm lucky to have a very close relationship with my Father so I could relate well to this aspect of the characters. Well written, the storyline flows in a manner which intermingles realism with the surreal.  The plot has twists and turns which lead to an ending which left me in tears. 

On a scale of 1 to 10, I give this film a 9.  Have you seen "The Lovely Bones"?  What is your opinion? 





Protected by Copyscape Website Copyright Protection

4 comments:

  1. wow i need to see this movie! i didn't see it in theaters, but since you liked it so much i might need to go and see it on dvd!

    thelibertybelleblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by. I just signed up to follow your blog. If you can, watch the movie one day then a second time a few days later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hello Rach, thanks for stopping by. I'm off to follow your blog !! have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't seen this one yet... but the reviews are tempting, so I think I'll watch it. Any other similar recommendations?
    I'm shit at reviews. Most ive done is a top 10 list...
    feel free to visit my blog
    http://happymichangrymich.blogspot.com/

    Cheers & Keep up the great work
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting :~)

Powered By Blogger