Friday, March 26

"Paradise Found", "Basquiat" & other films about Painters

good evening darling reader,

As a painter myself I enjoy movies about painters.

Right now, I'm in the mist of watching the film "Paradise Found" (2003) about the painter Paul Gauguin starring Kiefer Sutherland. I've always been a Kiefer fan & this movie is very good so far. Great acting and wonderful scenery. It depicts the struggles we all go through as painters. The plot goes back & forth from his life in Paris as a stockbroker turned painter to later in his life in Tahiti. I won't share anymore in case you want to view it for yourself.

Another film I like with Gauguin as one of the characters is "Lust for Life" (1956) about Vincent Van Gogh starring Kirk Douglas & Anthony Quinn (who won an Oscar for his portrayal of Gauguin). The movie was directed by Liza's daddy Vincent Minnelli. The acting was wonderful in this film & I very much enjoyed seeing the relationship develop between Van Gogh & Gauguin. Also highlighted was the close relationship Vincent had with his brother Theo. Again, the struggles of an artist are key points in this film.

The last film about a painter I'd like to discuss is "Basquiat" (1996). I love this film. It is about Jean-Michel Basquiat's life as a street artist and his quick rise to become a star in the art world when he was "discovered" by Andy Warhol (another fav artist of mine) played by David Bowie (rock star extrodinaire). It is a film that made my heart soar when attained huge success then break when his life fell apart & he dies. This film delves way deep into the art scene of NYC in the early 1980's...the good, the bad, the drugs, sex, relationships etc. Wonderful acting & the scenery & costume design are spot on for the time period. The cast includes Dennis Hopper, Benicio Del Toro, Gary Oldham, Christopher Walken, Willem Dafoe, Courtey Love & more. I highly recommend this film if you've never seen it. If you have, I recommend you watch it again.

Have you seen any of these films? Do you have any favorite films about painters? Tell me all about it, my inquiring mind wants to know.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for reminding me about Basquiat -- it's been on my "must see" list for ages!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved "Paradise Found" and am a huge Gauguin and Tahiti nut. Now I will have to go check out "Lust For Life". I had never heard of "Basquait" before, but I will definitely have to get that as well, because David Bowie is my all time FAVORITE singer!!

    Thanks for the blog. I found your link through Annette's "So Many Memories", and am now following!

    I am also an artist on Etsy:

    http://www.etsy.com/shop/lisabongzee

    My website is:
    www.bongzee.com

    I love your watercolors, and Elvis Lee is ADORABLE! I have a little yorkie that is the love of my life, Brighton. He has his own website too:
    www.superbry.com

    MUCH ALOHA from Hawaii!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lisa,
    thanks so much for taking the time to check out my blog & comment. I've become a followers of your also. I'll check out your Etsy shop this afternoon. Thank you for the compliments on my artwork & my baby boy Elvis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't heard of "Paradise Found" but I love Gauguin, too. I'll have to find and rent it soon!

    I've seen "Lust for Life" (thought it was well done) and "Basquiat" (which gave me such an appreciation for his art, and the fairytale at the very beginning was poignant...such a sad story).

    I.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember seeing that Basquiat film.
    I enjoy films about artists.
    Thanks for introducing the films about gauguin. I'll check those out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. your welcome everyone...thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. hugs all around

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting :~)

Powered By Blogger